Reading Public Library
The Reading Public Library, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, has undergone many changes over the years. Originally designed as a school in 1896, and partially destroyed by fire in the mid-1950’s, the building was eventually renovated into a library in 1983. In 2011, the library received a grant and partial funding for renovation and expansion from the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
CBT was commissioned to preserve the historic Reading Public Library through targeted upgrades and a new expansion to the library to accommodate modern library and information-based services, as well as provide the community with more space. The 38,500-square-foot project includes a 9,000-square-foot addition.
The design scope included program verification and conceptual layout and design studies to refine the functional relationships and address existing spatial limitations. The expansion benefits the Town with several new community meeting spaces, as well as a new light-filled reading and stack rooms. The renovation significantly enhances the value of this historic facility through improved accessibility, better functional organization, improved safety, abatement of hazardous materials, integrity of the building envelope, and renewed mechanical systems of higher efficiency.
Want to work with us? Get in touch.